Bucks County Residence
This 1810 stone house located in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, epitomizes the traditional quality and farmhouse design prevalent in the region. The owners wished to incorporate a new one-story addition as well as renovate existing rooms. Notably, the clients requested that the addition make a sympathetic architectural statement and provide a special retreat from the rest of the household. A greenhouse was the natural solution as the homeowner is a gardener who cultivates orchids and other plants. The resulting inviting space, with views all around, is accented with a chevron brick pattern on the floor and is washed in light from the glazing and skylight.
Within the existing floor plan, the second floor master bedroom was reimagined as a home office; a quiet aery at the top of the house with views over the pond and property. The new master bedroom suite is now on the first floor and incorporates a paneled fireplace, built-in shelving, a master closet with commodious storage and a dressing area with natural light. The new master bath has access to an outdoor shower.
Also located on the ground floor, a new mudroom features a dog entrance for the owners’ three Northbrook Terriers that connects to a fenced in outdoor area. The mudroom has the necessary dog wash, a laundry room, and a convenient place for the dog crates. In the new family room, the previously existing wood stove was retained. Reproduction hardware from Michael M. Coldren Company reinforces the period and enhances the doors, windows, and cabinetry.
The owners’ collection of antique cherry wood furniture inspired Period Architecture’s designs for wood paneled ceilings and beams to compliment the furniture. Niches for specific pieces of furniture and built-in cabinetry and shelving for books and display further distinguish the interior renovation. Custom-designed 1920s glass light fixtures are incorporated into the design and along with the owners antique quilt collection lend a singular quality to the entire house.