Joe Mackin, co-founder and president of Period Architecture, is long-inspired by the historical and regional architecture of his native Pennsylvania, and also by the resurgence and appreciation of classical and traditional forms.
Fascinated with building things from an early age and determined to become an architect by the age of eight, the field of architecture is Joe’s natural element. During his professional career before co-founding Period Architecture, Joe spent time at several well-known firms contributing to commercial, institutional, and residential projects that ranged in size and scope. Joe chose to focus on residential practice because of the opportunity to work at a very detailed and intimate scale while collaborating with homeowners who are personally invested in and direct recipients of the process.
Today, Joe and his colleagues at Period Architecture carry on traditions that were not always universally acknowledged and appreciated. Joe says, “We stand on the shoulders of those residential designers who precede us—giants in our profession who were masters of invention during their time. Our mission is to uncompromisingly serve our clients as architectural visionaries capable of blending historic sensibility with modern living.”
The recipient of several prestigious industry and academic accolades, Joe brings a distinctive approach to architectural design, documentation, and management. His forte is in traditional homes, but regardless the type of commission, Joe firmly believes that listening is the key to a successful project. “Our clients and their trust in us inspire our work every day. Listening allows us to follow the thread of a dream and we carry that thread forward in everything we do.”
Joe holds a National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) certificate that allows reciprocal registration to practice in any state. He resides with his family in Chester County, Pennsylvania. An avid runner, Joe enjoys being outdoors, and enters races as his schedule allows.
- Bachelor of Architecture, cum laude, Tyler School of Art & Architecture, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB)
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional (LEED AP)
- Institute of Classical Architecture & Art (ICAA)
- Society of American Registered Architects (SARA), Pennsylvania Council
- Athenaeum of Philadelphia
- Pennsylvania Historic Preservation Award, 2018, Preservation Pennsylvania
- West Chester Preservation Bricks & Mortar Award, 2018, The West Chester Downtown Foundation
- Society of American Registered Architects Awards, 2018, 2016, 2015, 2014, SARA
- Construction Excellence Award, 2017, The Delaware Contractors Association
- VIP House, 2016, Chester County Day
- Connecticut, Delaware, Indiana, Idaho, Maryland, New Jersey, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Wyoming